Shop Local 2017
Every time you spend $10 at a locally owned store, anywhere from $4 to $7 re-circulates in your local economy. That’s $1 to $6 MORE than if that same $10 was spent at a big retailer.
With the convenience of online ordering and big box stores, shopping local during the holiday season can be hard. But have no fear — we put together a list of holiday gift ideas and where to find them that are sure to wow while supporting your community and local makers!
- Visit cultural institution gift shops such as Birmingham Museum of Art, McWane Science Center, Birmingham Civil Rights Institute, and Birmingham Botanical Gardens.
- Season tickets to performing arts organizations like Red Mountain Theatre Company, Alabama Ballet, and Alabama Symphony Orchestra give all year long.
- Wrap up your favorite attractions like Vulcan Park and Museum, Birmingham Zoo, Sidewalk Film Festival in a membership.
- Visit some of our CO.STARTERS graduates listed below for a variety of local gifts.
- Shop at businesses that support other artists and makers such as Elements, Charm, Alabama Goods, Winslet & Rhys, and Square One Goods Co.
- For your foodie friends and family, get a gift card to their favorite local restaurant or coffee shop.
- Shop holiday markets and pop-ups.
- Create an experience for family and friends with MAKEbhm, Vicious Delicious, and The Social Crafting Club.
- Give the gift of health with Stones Throw Market, Abundance Yoga, Wild Ginger, and Life Touch Massage.
- Buy art from local galleries such as The Jaybird, Paperworks Local, Canary Gallery, Naked Art, and Ground Floor Contemporary.
Laced Up Boutique LLC
Joseph Brown & Lauron Pijeaux
1305 2nd Ave N, #105; Birmingham, AL 35203
5508 Crestwood Blvd; Birmingham, AL 35212
Square One Goods Co.
1811 3rd Ave N; Birmingham, AL 35203
Gypset Beauty Co.
4075 Helena Rd; Helena, AL 35080
Posh Beauty Bar
1st Ave south and 14th Street
The Shoe Clinic
1801 11th Ave S; Birmingham, AL 35205
611 Doug Baker Blvd, #116; Birmingham, AL 35242
Green Guy Gourmet
Winslet & Rhys
Brittany Baker & Mallory Collier
4000 3rd Ave S, #105; Birmingham, AL 35222
1st Ave south and 14th Street; Birmingham, AL 35233
The Shayla Nicole Collection
Left Hand Soap Co.
4000 3rd Ave S; Birmingham, AL 35222
3017 6th Ave S; Birmingham, AL 35233
Naughty But Nice Kettle Corn
Stephen Smith Fine Art
5104 Gary Ave; Fairfield, AL 35064
Deep Roots Apotheké & Clinic
620 Main Street; Montevallo, AL 35115